Total Assets Managed by the Largest Banks. The top largest 100 banks in the world hold a combined total of US$91.54 trillion in assets. China had the most number of these top banks (eighteen in total), holding close to US$23.76 trillion in assets. United States had the second most number of top banks (eleven in total), holding close to US$12.19 trillion in assets, followed by Japan whose eight banks hold US$10.534 trillion in assets.
World's Largest Banks.1. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. Holding a total asset size of more than US$4 trillion, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) is the largest bank and financial institution in the world by total assets, deposits, loans, number of customers and number of employees.
2. China Construction Bank Corporation. Founded on 1 October 1954 and based in Xicheng District, Beijing, the China Construction Bank Corporation comes in as the second largest bank in the world with US$3.4 trillion in assets.
3. Agricultural Bank of China. The Agricultural Bank of China or ABC is founded in 1951 and headquartered in Dongcheng District, Beijing. It holds around US$3.23 trillion in assets and is ranked as the 3rd largest bank by total assets in the world.
4. Bank of China. One of the earliest banks in China, Bank of China or BOC's history began in 1905 as Daqing Hubu Bank before officially renamed as the Bank of China in 1912 as the Republic of China was established. Bank of China manages close to US$2.99 trillion in assets and is the fourth largest bank in the world by total assets.
5. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group. The Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group is a Japanese bank holding / financial services company headquartered in Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. It is the largest bank in Japan and the fifth largest in the world by total assets (US$2.78 trillion).
6. JP Morgan Chase & Co. JP Morgan Chase & Co is the world's most valuable bank by market capitalization and the sixth largest bank in the world by total assets, managing close to US$2.6 trillion in assets.