List of Largest Banks in Germany by Assets
Largest Banks of Germany in 2018. The top five banks of Germany hold a combined US$3.459 trillion in assets-under-management.
Dataset Rank & segment full dataset here
1. Deutsche Bank. Headquartered in Frankfurt, Germany, Deutsche Bank is the largest bank in Germany and the fourth largest bank in Europe. Globally, Deutsche Bank is ranked the 15th largest bank by total assets (US$1.765 trillion) and is a component of the DAX stock market index.
Deutsche Bank is operational in 58 countries across Europe, the Americas and Asia with three business pillars - Private & Commercial Bank, Corporate & Investmetn Bank and Asset Management. Deutsche Bank is founded on 10 March 1870 - two weeks after the founding of Commerzbank.
2. DZ Bank AG. Also based in Frankfurt, Germany, DZ Bank AG (acronym for Deutsche Zentral-Genossenschaftsbank or "German Central Co-operative Bank") is the second biggest bank in Germany by asset size (US$607 billion) and 21st largest in Europe.
3. Commerzbank AG. Commerzbank is Germany's third largest bank by asset size (U$S543 billion) and 23rd largest in Europe. Commerzbank is present in more than 50 countries around the world and provides almost a third of Germany's trade finance. Like Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank is founded on 1870 (February 26, 1870 to be exact) with a history spanning close to 150 years.
4. Landesbank Baden-Wurtternberg is the fourth largest German bank by asset size (US$285 billion) and 33rd largest in Europe. As of 2018, it is also Germany's biggest state-backed landesbank lender.
5. Bayerische Landesbank (or BayernLB) is a bank based in Munich, Germany. It holds about US$257 billion worth of assets-under-management.
You might be interested to know about:
- Europe: HSBC Holdings PLC and the largest banks in Europe
- France: BNP Paribas and the largest banks in France
- United Kingdom: HSBC Holdings PLC and the largest banks in UK
- Germany: Deutsche Bank and the largest banks in Germany
- Spain: Banco Santander and the largest banks in Spain
Interested in sovereign wealth funds (SWFs)? Learn about the world's largest sovereign wealth funds, the largest of which hails from Norway - the Government Pension Fund Global - with close to US$1 trillion under management. (list of world's largest sovereign wealth funds).